On 2 April 2019, new immigration programs were introduced in conjunction with federal budget announcements.
Please be aware of your conditions and visa status in order to prevent any negative impact on your circumstances in applying the amended immigration policy.
1. Increase in visa application charge
On 1 July 2019, charges for any visa application will increase up to 5.4% (except for visitor visa (subclass 600), but second instalment remains same.).
The government expects to have $275 million of additional tax revenues between 2018/19 financial year and 2021/22 financial year.
2. Plan for Immigration program
The number of visa approval will decrease to 160,000 per year for the next four years (from 162,417 to less than 160,000).
3. Skilled Immigration Points
1) Change on Skilled immigration point requirement from November 2019: despite a partner of a visa applicant being ineligible for skilled partner point, additional points could be recognised if competent English skill (IELTS score each band 6.0) is found to exist.
2) Recognition of additional points for a non-partnered individual applicant for skilled immigration for the purpose of mitigating disadvantage
4. Announcement of new regional visas substituting for RSMS (subclass 187) and Skilled Regional (subclass 489)
1) On 1 November 2019, new Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa and Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Visa will be announced.
2) New visas will require visa applicants to comply with more strengthened regulations.
3) RSMS (subclass 187) and Skilled Regional (subclass 489) visa will cease.
5. Extension of temporary graduate visa (subclass 485) for regional graduates
In 2021, temporary graduate visa could be extended for additional 12 months for applicants under post-study work stream. Eligible applicants would have total 3 years visa in total.
6. Destination Australia program
A scholarship scheme will be available for students registering higher education or more advanced programs than vocational education qualifications in regional areas.
7. New regional visa information
1) Skilled Employer Sponsored (Provisional)
2) Skilled Work Regional (Provisional)
3) Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa
4) Temporary Graduate Visa